As I said earlier, I bought a lot few Tom Waits CDs with my birthday money this year. Rather than going on to talk about all of them, I think I'm just gonna pick the one that has really been playing a lot on my iPod. The being said, i shall begin with...
The Album: The Heart of Saturday Night by Tom Waits. This album is an incredible display of Waits' voice before the later 70s when his vocals became raspy. Like the music off of his first album, Closing Time, this music is smooth jazz. Imagine being in a smoke filled jazz club back in the early 70s. The songs, such as New Coat Of Paint and (Looking for) The Heart of Saturday Night, are reminiscent of the old jazz standards of the 50s. The moment you put this album on, get ready to chill. Anyone who has heard later songs by Waits, they wouldn't even recognize this clean voice, smooth jazz, and lack of experimenting with various strange instruments. But, like almost all of his music (and the reason I say almost is because there are some songs that he has done that don't have lyrics), his ability to write great displayed in every single song, especially in (Looking For) The Heart of Saturday Night;
"Makes it kind of quiver down in the core
'Cause you're dreamin' of them Saturdays that came before
And now you're stumblin'
You're stumblin' onto the heart of Saturday night."
I find it impossible to listen through this album, looking for a song that is better than another. For anyone looking for some good chill music, this album is perfect and I would recommend to anyone.
The Song: My pick for song of the week is the title track for this album, (Looking For) The Heart of Saturday Night. This song is slow, and kinda sad sounding, and amazing. When I listen to it, I become immersed in the story, and that's something that I look for in music. This song doesn't have too much in terms of instrumental accompaniment, just Tom Waits, his guitar, and some background sound effects. This is the perfect song to play if you've had a rough day and just need to kick back and relax.
Special Mention: I won't be doing this very often, but a song popped up on my iPod and I thought I should give it a special mention; that song is the Final Fantasy VII Advent Children version of the song One Winged Angel. I love this song; it starts off with this high energy orchestra (which sounds awesome), then when the song starts to take off, add in some rockin' drums and electric guitar solos. Not epic enough? Then add some type of chant in the background. This song rocks something awesome; thank you Nobuo Uematsu for this masterpiece.
No comments:
Post a Comment