Monday, January 31, 2011

Getting Things Started

Ok everybody, I think I'm going to do things this way; I listen to a lot of music each week, usually whole albums. I think that it would be easiest if while doing this, I posted an Album that I am currently listening to with a description and my personal review of the album, and my favorite song either from that album, or another album that I might have been listening to that week. Also, every now and then I will post a song that I have recently learned how to play on the guitar, or find myself playing a lot. Now that that is out of the way, lets begin. 
This past weekend I celebrated my 21 birthday, a glorious milestone. With the birthday money (and an iTunes card) I bought a little more than five new albums; Gogol Bordello's Gypsy Punk: Underdog World Strike, The King is dead, the newest album by The Decemberists, and three albums by Tom Waits: Frank's Wild Years, The Black Rider, and Blood Money. Where I am currently getting into all of these albums, I think it would be easier for me to start with Gogol Bordello's Gypsy Punk: Underdog World Strike.

The Album: I recently bought this album because I had recently heard Gogol Bordello's Through the Roof n' Underground used in the movie, Wristcutters: A Love Story. Though Gypsy Punk does not have this song on it, the album is still awesome. The band members all came from countries throughout Europe and have joined together to integrate a traditional Gypsy style of music, combined with American punk. The lead singer, Eugene Hütz, who was originally born in Ukraine is a very powerful vocalist. Although not the best singer I have heard, the high levels of energy and enthusiasm that he brings to each track on this album make up for this. Songs on the album, such as Immigrant Punk, and Start Wearing Purple, display the use of acoustic guitar, fiddle, and accordion playing hard punk music that one could really rock out to.

The Song: My choice goes to Through the Roof n' Underground by Gogol Bordello off the album Multi Kontra Culti Vs. Irony. Though it was not on my album of the Week, I had to get this song. I first heard it on the movie, Wristcutters: A Love Story. In the movie, the song is supposed to be a recording that one of the main characters did when he was in a band (the character's name is Eugene, the same as the lead singer for Gogol Bordello). The Funny thing is that the tape that the song is on is the only one that the characters have to listen to while on a road trip, so the song is played throughout the movie From the first line ("When there is trap, set up for you") I knew that this was something that I could really get into. It isn't as fast paced as some of their other songs, but the use of punk guitar and accordion, with Eugene Hütz's vocals are a great, yet a little rough, combination which makes this song my pick of the week.

1 comment:

  1. It seems like you have a unique taste in music, which is cool. I saw the movie Wristcutters: A Love Story last year and had NO idea what to expect. I found that it had a very interesting story line and looked at suicide in a way that I had never thought of before. You have me wanting to listen to this album because off the top of my head, I cannot remember how that song in the car went at all. I feel like it would be fun to download, so thanks! Happy birthday, by the way!

    ReplyDelete